The Pet Animals' League
The Pet Animals' League began as the Rover League in December 1904. Its aim was to give children and their pets the opportunity to raise money for The Children's Union, a fund-raising organisation for The Waifs And Strays' Society; and in particular for the rebuilding of St Nicholas' Home for Crippled Children in Byfleet, Surrey. Actual membership was for pets only and cost 6d a year for five years. A Rover League badge was also available for 2d.
By the 1950s and 1960s the League was supporting three cots: one at Twizzletwig Nursery, Hindhead, Surrey; one at St Agnes', Pevensey Bay, Sussex; and one at the Florence Anderson Memorial Nursery in Ramsgate, Kent. By this time membership cost 2/6d a year in return for a membership card and a free presentation copy of Brothers and Sisters, the magazine for members of The Children's Union.
In 1943 the Rover League changed its name to the Pets' League, which was then re-named the Pet Animals' League in 1951.