Hidden Lives Revealed. A virtual archive - children in care 1881-1981 * Image of handwritten text

Harvey Goodwin House, Cambridge

Photograph of Harvey Goodwin House, Cambridge

Discover more about this imagelink opens in a new window

Harvey Goodwin House, Cambridge

Cambridge, Cambridgeshire

(1924 - 1980)

The Home was originally founded around 1847 as an Industrial Home by Harvey Goodwin, who later became the Bishop of Carlisle. In 1914 the Home was temporarily closed because of the building's worsening condition. Although new premises were sought, the outbreak of the First World War meant that a new site wasn't found until 1924.

On 17 July 1924 the Harvey Goodwin Home For Boys was reopened and the Foundation Stone was laid by Mrs Bryan Walker, Vice-President of the Home Committee. In November 1925 the Home housed over 30 boys.

After a successful Pound Day in 1933, the Home was able to provide netting for its playing field and to put a temporary floor in its gym. The success of the Pound Day, which raised over £16, was attributed to the residents of the Home, who distributed over 5,000 leaflets to advertise the event. The Harvey Goodwin residents took their annual holiday in Hastings in 1938, where the boys enjoyed hiking, swimming and camping. The visit was cut short however because of preparations for war. Throughout 1939 the Home completed a dug-out that would be used in air raids, and the Home's residents increased to 36 because of wartime evacuations from London.

By 1947 the Society needed more accommodation for babies and toddlers. It opened new nurseries and re-classified some older Homes. St Cuthbert's in Darlington, Godfrey Walker Home, York, St Aidan's in Tynemouth and the Harvey Goodwin Home were re-adapted for use as Nurseries. The Harvey Goodwin Nursery was formally opened by Lady Whitby on Thursday 2 October, 1947. It could accommodate up to 20 children, prior to their being boarded out or adopted. The location also acted as a nursery nurse training Home.

As the need for residential nurseries declined the Home began to accommodate older children and was renamed Harvey Goodwin House in 1972. The residents from St Agnes' Home, Pevensey moved to Cambridge after their own premises became overcrowded.

The Home became an Assisted Community Home in 1973 and closed in 1980.

The Children's Society UNESCO logo Big
           Lottery Fund logo Wellcome Trust